Are you at risk for oral cancer?
At Kalaheo Dental Group, we speak often about the link between oral health and overall health. This is especially relevant when talking about oral cancer. According to the American Dental Association, “Approximately 51,540 people will be diagnosed with cancers of the mouth, throat, tonsils, and tongue this year.” Here are the top 5 risk factors:
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), a sexually transmitted disease, is associated with around 9,000 cases of head and neck cancer (especially at the back of the tongue, in or around the tonsils) each year in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
- Being a man, because men are twice as likely as women to get oral cancer.
- Being 55 or older, as this is when more oral cancer cases are diagnosed.
- A tobacco user, as either smoking or chewing tobacco significantly increase your chance of having oral cancer.
- A heavy drinker, as most male oral cancer patients, drink two or more drinks per day and female oral cancer patients drink an average of more than one drink per day.
For details, please visit ADA’s Mouth Healthy. Remember that dental health is part of your overall health too. If you haven’t scheduled your six-month exam and cleaning, call us today at (808) 332-9445. During the course of the exam, you will be checked for signs of oral cancer. Malama your mouth!